March 17, 2021. The Bureau of Agriculture and Fisheries Standards (BAFS) conducted a Virtual Seminar-Workshop on Basic Records and Archives Management held last March 9 to March 12, 2021 via Google Meet and was participated by 54 BAFS employees. This is in collaboration with the National Archives of the Philippines (NAP) as the competent authority on records management of the Government and other resources relevant to the history and development of the country.
The activity intends to strengthen the Bureau's management of documented information, records, and their archival in order to update its current records disposition schedule as part of the Bureau’s commitment to the continual improvement of its Quality Management System.
The activity focused its discussions on the following topics as led by resource persons from NAP:
- Republic Act No. 9470 or The National Archives of the Philippines Act of 2007, Introduction to Records Management, Records and Archives Management Program (RAMP), and Records Creation and Control with Ms. Maita Espina-Abunales, Administrative Officer V
- Records Maintenance and Use, Mail Management, and Files Management with Ms. Cheryl Alvarez, Training Specialist III
- Records Disposition Administration with Ms. Jhoana Marie M. Ong, Records Management Analyst I
- Records Center Administration, Archives Administration, and Security of Records with Mr. Wilson Cabiles, Training Specialist I
In addition to the lectures, live quizzes, workshops and open forums were also conducted to ensure interactive engagement from the participants.
Dir. Myer Mula fully supported the endeavor where he highlighted the importance of improving the Bureau’s record system and its value in the future.
Also present during the activity was Assistant Director Mary Grace Mandigma. She stressed how the event motivated the Bureau to manage its records in order to make sure that the latter work for the organization and not the other way around.
After the 4-day seminar-workshop, the following recommended actions are lined up for the Bureau:
- Reconstitution of Records Management Improvement Committee (RMIC);
- Review and update of records inventory;
- Updating of BAFS Records Disposition Schedule;
- Exploration of records center development; and
- Planning of Training re: Electronic Records Management.
* The 54 registered participants of the seminar-workshop in a screen-captured photo at the end of the event.